13 May, 2014

Just In Cases- The Language Barrier Poem

Used to be, when I was sad, my moose of a brother would squish me. I mean literally, lean his entire torso on me until I was flat on the floor, all of the air pressed out of my lungs, and then he would say:
"HEY DANIELLE. What did the big volcano say to the little volcano? I LAVA YOU!"
And prone on the ground, unable to breathe, I would know, unequivocally, that I was loved.
Even if it wasn't comfortable or helpful, it was true.

These days it seems it's not so clear.
I say the word love thirty times a day.
And half the time I don't even know what I mean
I love my mother
I love breakfast tacos
I love those earrings
I love Arrested Development
I love that Lorde song, And we'll never be Royals (Royals!)
I love Grumpy Cat

According to the internet
and this guy Gary Chapman,
there are different ways we express and receive love,
Called the five love languages,
Gifts!
Quality time!
Words of affirmation!
Acts of service!
Physical touch!

And we don't all speak the same one.
No wonder we get confused.
We're all tower of Babel, giving our preferences and declensions in different tongues
My mouth is guttural, a churning fountain of mud
And you're waiting to hear "Kiss me" in Italian
When the only verb I know in Italian is "eat,"
So I tell you "Mangiami!" and hope you don't slap me

There are times I am trying to say to you,
"I'm lost and I just want one thing to be sure of"
But you hear,
"Can you hold my purse?"

And other days you say,
"Rawr means I love you in dinosaur!"
And I hear a fucking cute cartoon
But what if you meant something
with more hot breath and claws?
How would I even know?

I have stood atop the clock tower,
Calling until my lungs would burst
"Que je t'aime, que je t'aime, que je t'aime!"
Like one day you'll just wake up knowing French

I'm exhausted by this language barrier
So I'm hiring a couple of translators
Ones who speak the love languages
I know how to work in.
So our next conversations will go like this:

Il est arrivé lentement
It happened slowly
-I preheated the oven to 350 degrees-
Si lentement, je ne l'ai pas realizéSo slowly, I didn't realize as it was happening
-I took from the pantry my containers of flour, salt, yeast, nutmeg, cinnamon, pecans, white sugar and brown. Butter, eggs, and milk from the fridge.-

Je suis arrivée comme une éléphant dans un jeu de quille. Lourde comme le plomb, et maladroit, je n'savais pas quoi faire avec mes bras, mais tu m'as rendu lègere comme le papier.I arrived on this scene like an elephant in a game of bowling. Lead-heavy and clumsy, I didn't know what to do with my limbs, but you made me feel light as paper
-I combined dry ingredients with dry, wet with wet. And then all together. I kneaded the dough until my fingers were webbed and sticky. There was flour in my hair, under my fingernails. Patience lets all things happen in their time, so let it rise.

On dit, qui sème le vent récolte la tempête. Mais toi, tu étais le vent violent que je voulais laisser rentrerThey say, if you sow the wind, you will reap the storm. But you, you were the gale I wanted to let in
-For the filling, I mixed the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pecans, spread it out over the dough, and rolled it up tight. Again I let it rise, and then bake. Sometimes waiting is the hardest part. When was cooled, I drizzled the sugar and colored . The entire house smelled warm and yeasty.

Tout ce que je veux c'est que tu me renverses. Trempe-moi jusqu'à la moelle.All I want is for you to blow me over, soak me to the bone
-"Here," I said. "I made this for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment