30 January, 2011

Macaroni Portrait of a Love Affair

There once was a girl. (There's always a girl.)
But this one, she was the why of it.
She laughed at me, tripping over my own shoelaces,
And I left them untied, hoping to make her laugh again.
I whispered heavy secrets to her,
The kind that must be spoken with cupped hands and daring proximity.
She kissed me once. (She probably doesn't remember
Because girls can be so guilelessly affectionate,
But I was over the moon for days.)
When she left, I was certain I would never love again.
I had sworn my heart, eternally, to her.
Luckily for me, the attention span of a kindergartner
Does not often reach eternity, so by summer vacation
There was a new girl, (there's always a girl,)
And she quickly became the why of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment