28 June, 2009

Number 24

Green light, we read novels in the late afternoon, you remember to leave a note, I purr and you scratch my back
Red light
I grouse about folding clothes
You drink more often than I think you should
Red, red light
When you say I've no room to talk because all the candy I eat
Will rot my teeth and give me diabetes
And we're going to die anyways so quit all the fussing
Green light, we have dinner outside and play hangman on napkins and gleefully cheat at cards
Red light
Isn't it always a long day
Work drags, and traffic's bad
There's never really enough money
Green light, when you're just the right temperature, and I sidle in close, and you smell like earth and salt and home
Red light
You don't ever hit but you can see how a person might want to
Green light, we plant a tomato garden
Red light
I forget to water it
Greenlight, we might move to Seattle
Redlight
I clam up when you ask what I want
Greenlight, you
Redlight
Then somewhere along the way
We melt into yellow

No comments:

Post a Comment