04 May, 2009

The quasi-finished product

A Song About Theresa

I know of no one like Theresa
With voice and hands always an intricate ballet
It’s RENT and Phantom and Tori Amos
When she feels erasable
She grins then and sweeps it all away

Theresa gives more than she’s taken
All she asks is for a prayer along the road
She’s serving pancakes, and her winsome lover
Can never keep up with her
He tries, though, with te amos in the cold

And when I try for musicality, impossible to arrange
I wish upon a Milky Way and still get ten stars’ change
And I invoke muses to abate my lack of inspiration
And the ebbing of my faith becomes a writer’s devastation
But if I quiet, quiet, quiet down, and let the waves subside
It’s Theresa sketched in charcoal that swims over my mind

Theresa’s flown across the ocean
I haven’t seen her now for days and days and days
In Venizia she greets me with that stare
Says, “I’d know you anywhere”
And somehow, somehow it’s all okay

No comments:

Post a Comment